Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Review: Katharina's Bridal Boutique

I have just returned from the most amazing wedding dress shopping experience I've ever had.

First, let me just say that I was a little anxious to go dress shopping again after my last trip to an establishment on the Island. The lady helping me at the dress shop would only pull dresses that she thought would fit or be big and seemed in an awful rush to shoo me out the door. Unfortunately, the few dresses that fit me well enough that I could try them on seemed to be the wrong kind of old fashioned and a little on the homely side... nothing like I had envisioned myself trying on. I left feeling like finding a dress would be like wrapping a whale in taffeta and tulle and sending it down the aisle.

So yes, I was more than a little nervous walking in to Katharina's Bridal Boutique, but I decided to keep an open mind. I was greeted at the door by Kim, one of their wedding consultants. Her warm and welcoming personality made me feel instantly like I was shopping with an old friend. We walked up to the racks of dresses and I mentioned a few of the characteristics I thought I'd like in a dress. Right away she pulled one off the rack, and I instantly said "that won't fit". Kim then told me something I hadn't heard before; forget about the size of the dress, that's just a number. She told me to try it on and, even though it might not fit, I could see if I liked the look of it. And try on dresses I did!

With help from my soon to be mother-in-law and sister-in-law Doreen and Josie, we picked out a number of dresses I wouldn't have even considered trying on because of the size at the other shop. While I was trying them on, Kim made me feel so confident, telling me which were her favorite dresses, telling me stories and making me feel special. She told me what worked and what didn't; a kind of honesty that seems to be rare.

Because of Kim, Doreen and Josie, I found a dress I fell in love with. I wouldn't have tried it on anywhere else, but it looked stunning. I even got to meet Katharina, who came out and told me the best part: They only sell 3 dresses of one particular style a year. This was the best news I'd heard all day; after all, what bride wants to see her dream dress on 10 other brides on Facebook by the end of the season? I left the boutique with loads of information and even a booklet with a picture of the dress I love in it - even though they only get a few booklets and are supposed to stay in store (thanks, Katharina!).

To wrap it up, the ladies at Katharina's Bridal Boutique made me feel so positive about the whole experience. They were amazingly friendly and outgoing, knowledgeable and made the whole thing so memorable. I can't believe they've been open for a year, and I've just heard about them this week. Thanks, guys!

Info on Katharina's Bridal Boutique:
Facebook group: Katharina's Bridal Boutique
Address: 12 Cedar Street, Summerside PEI
To book an appointment: (902) 724 - 3222

3 comments:

  1. i've heard lots of great things about this shop. my cousin's mom got a great Mother of the Groom outfit there too. i look forward to checking it out next trip home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwww I'm sooo glad that you found a dress you absolutely love!
    I had a very very similar experience with dress shopping. The one place (perhaps the same one on the Island :p) treated me in the exact same fashion. I had even come prepared with pictures of what I liked (and that happened to be designers that they carried).
    I left there miserable and feeling hopeless. I do recall crying on the drive back home with my sister telling me it would be alright and we would find something.

    I had gone to another location (in NB with Michelle and my sister). There I just found that they were too pushy with everything. Veils, accessories, dresses, etc. things that I didn't want/ need, etc they thought looked amazing on me. I had found a dress there that looked great on me...but just wasn't "the one".

    It took a trip across the country and a cute little bridal shop in the middle of Calgary for me to actually ENJOY my dress shopping experience! They made me feel EXACTLY how Kim made you feel! I narrowed it down to two dresses there, and couldn't decide between the two of them. After thinking about it over night, and trying the two dresses on countless times the next day - I had made my decision...and I don't regret it for a second!

    I would LOVE to see what you ended up picking out for your perfect day! You are seriously on a roll with the wedding plans :). Keep it up girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Driver with everything, women and men also can own lovely Links of London Watches .
    First-class workm

    ReplyDelete